The Catalina Council Shooting Sports Committee is pleased to offer USA/NAA Archery Instructor Level 1 and BSA Archery Instructor/Range Master Instructor Certification Courses for adult and youth (over age 15). This course is being held on March 4th, 8am to 5pm, at the DV Scout Ranch – Archery Range. Cost is $60.00. Certification is good for three years. To register and for more information contact John Longhofer at email: email@example.com or Cell (520) 990-4442
This is an instructor course, not a basic skills course. You should have some knowledge and experience in archery prior to taking this course. However, this is also a good course to take to learn the essentials to improve your archery skills. Certification is valid for three years, but may be renewed based on teaching experience and/or helping run two shooting events each year, without having to retake the class. You’ll learn how to set up and operate a safe short-term archery range or archery program, how to teach new archers, how to maintain your equipment, and learn common shooting errors and correction which may also help your own skills. You’ll also learn the BSA archery range rules and safety regulations, and the specific requirements and limitations imposed on archery events by BSA. When taking this course we are asking you to help with unit, district and council shooting events. You must conduct at least one event each year to stay active as an Instructor.
This is a full day course with a 50 question written exam and pre-shoot safety briefing that you must pass in order to obtain the certification. Those who successfully complete the instructor course will be able to:
- Run a Boy Scout and Venturing archery shooting event.
- Run a Cub Scout archery range at the District or Council level
- Check-out and rent council archery equipment ( Except for the LaPorte Machine)
- Counsel Archery Merit Badge for Boy Scouts
- Venturing Shooting Sports Elective
- Serve on the 2017 National Scout Jamboree Archery Staff (Jamboree staff application is a separate and unrelated process. For more information about applying for jamboree staff, see http://www.summitbsa.org/events/jamboree/overview/).