As of January 31, 2018, National has released new mandatory Youth Protection training and policies. This was done as part of a continuous effort by BSA to reexamine and strengthen the policies they have for protecting our youth and adults. This new release consists of both new policies and training.
The new YPT Policies Include
By October 1, 2018, all new and currently registered leaders will be required to complete the updated training. The enhanced and updated content will allow leaders and councils to comply with all current legal requirements. While this may be inconvenient for some, it reflects the BSA’s commitment to the safety of all youth.
- Adults accompanying units on activities who are present at the activity for 72 hours or more, must also take Youth Protection Training. The 72 hours need not be consecutive.
- New leaders are required to take Youth Protection Training prior to completing the registration process.
- Units cannot re-charter unless all unit leaders have completed YPT within two years.
- Adult Youth Protection Training is required for adult program participants 18 years or older. Adult program participants (Venturing, Order of the Arrow, Exploring) must complete adult Youth Protection Training before submitting their adult application.
- BSA policy that when tenting, youth must be NOT more than 2 years apart in age unless relatives.
- BSA policy that no one (youth or adult) may share an accommodation (tent) with a member of the opposite sex other than their spouse.
- BSA policy that “buddies” must be NOT more than 2 years apart in age and the same level of maturity.
BSA National Mandatory Training Policy
- Youth Protection Training (YPT) must be taken every two years.
- Councils are permitted to enact additional requirements.
The only position exceptions to taking the required the Youth Protection Training are:
- Institutional heads
- Adult partners in Tiger and Lion programs.
The Boy Scouts of America’s updated Youth Protection Training is mandatory for all registered adult leaders in all BSA programs. Other adults participating in Scouting are strongly encouraged to take this one-hour online training.
The mandatory training modules are the following:
- Overview & Policies – SCO_3001 (20 minutes)
• Sexual Abuse – SCO_3003 (22 minutes)
• Bullying – SCO_3004 (13 minutes)
• YPT Certification – SCO_3007 (no time estimate)
The prior version of BSA’s Youth Protection trainings will no longer be available. The updated training replaces other Youth Protection trainings and is required for all BSA programs.
Depending on the speed of your network, this new training should take approximately 1-2 hours to complete. Be patient
Remember, all adult leaders are required to complete this new training by Oct 1, 2018