From the desk of the Scout Executive
Monday, April 20th update and an important survey for you (action required)
I hope this finds you and your family well. Thanks for all that you are doing to keep Scouting alive for your kids and their families. I’m amazed at the ingenuity of our Scouts and Units to find ways to keep our program going. Unprecedented times can bring out the best in people.
What’s the latest
We are still closely monitoring what the CDC, State, County, Forest Service and the National BSA tell us about upcoming group activities like summer camp at Camp Lawton. And unfortunately, we are still left with a lot of unknowns about what we can do to deliver a safe, fun, and educational summer camp experience for your Scouts. The Forest Service still has their 10 person or less with social distancing rule in place through June 30th. They are reviewing that rule periodically so it may change.
Actions we are taking
We have also walked the property, examined our buildings, and reviewed our operational procedures in particular in regard to Health & Safety. If we can, we want Scouts to attend summer camp, but we also want to do it safely and within Government and National BSA requirements.
Your input needed (Action required)
So, we are still on track to make a go/no go decision on our original Camp Lawton start date of May 31st by the end of April. We need your guidance to help us make this decision.
Can you take a couple of minutes to fill in this simple survey?
We need your input back to us by Thursday, April 23rd. (submit answers here)
- Unit Type & number
- If National and Local directions allow us, is your unit still planning on attending camp on your regular scheduled week?
- How many youth and adults will be attending?
- If National and Local direction does not allow camp as planned and we need to move our dates of operation, which of the following weeks would work best for you:
A- July 6th (note the NYLT course that was set for this week has been postponed to late December at Double V)
B.- July 13th (note the Pimoree scheduled for this week has been postponed to 2022)
- What is your best guess for youth and adults attendance in your new week:
Other things to know as we go forward
- If Catalina Council is forced to cancel summer programs we will offer full refunds to units for all funds paid.
- If we’re forced to cancel summer programs we will also offer an option for units to roll over their funds to the summer of 2021 to secure the current 2020 pricing.
- If we have to switch camping weeks and the unit or families cannot attend we will also offer the above options to them.
- Camperships are available to assist families that are struggling with expenses. Campership information is on our website and the deadline for application has been extended to May 15th.
- If we are able to offer summer programs we will increase our health & safety training and protocols even further than normal and will communicate our additional plans to leaders and parents so they can be assured of the safety of their campers.
Key decision date – by May 1st
- With current health & safety advice from the appropriate authorities, Unit Leader, and summer staff feedback we will decide whether our currently planned Camp Lawton summer camp is a go or announce our alternative summer camp plan.
Look for continued weekly summer camp updates on our plans to give our Scouts a healthy, safe and life-changing Camp Lawton adventure.
Stay healthy and keep safe,