From the desk of the Scout Executive
Monday, April 27th update
I hope this finds you and your family in continued good health. Thanks to the majority of you who responded to our Unit Leader survey of last week. You helped paint the picture of what we might expect if we move camp from June to July.
What’s the latest
Not much has changed. We are still closely monitoring what the CDC, State, County, Forest Service and the National BSA tell us about upcoming group activities like summer camp at Camp Lawton. We know there may be some new guidelines from the White House later today, and that Governor Ducey may update his orders before the end of the week. So, as I said last week, we are still left with a lot of unknowns about what we can do to deliver a safe, fun, and educational summer camp experience for your Scouts.
Other things to know as we go forward
- If Catalina Council is forced to cancel summer programs we will offer full refunds to units for all funds paid.
- If we’re forced to cancel summer programs we will also offer an option for units to roll over their funds to the summer of 2021 to secure the current 2020 pricing.
- If we have to switch camping weeks and the unit or families cannot attend we will also offer the above options to them.
- Camperships are available to assist families that are struggling with expenses. Campership information is on our website and the deadline for application has been extended to May 15th.
- If we are able to offer summer programs we will increase our health & safety training and protocols even further than normal and will communicate our additional plans to leaders and parents so they can be assured of the safety of their campers.
What we are evaluating now
- Currently seeing if we can offer alternative weeks of summer in July. To do this we need to answer some of the following questions:
- Will Federal, State, Forest service allow us to operate?
- Can our staff work in the alternative weeks (strong concern from National BSA about any staff over 65 or with other underlying vulnerable conditions working during this pandemic)?
- Can Unit Leaders and their families attend in alternate weeks (thanks again for the survey results)?
- Can Unit Leaders safely attend who are over 65 or with other underlying vulnerable conditions during this pandemic?
- With the economic disruption can families afford to attend (we expect more campership applications)?
- Can we meet all new health regulations and keep your kids safe?
- With all of these factors can summer camp still be run and not have a major negative impact to the Catalina Council budget?
Key decision date (with as many facts as we can gather) – by or before May 1st
- With current health & safety advice from the appropriate authorities, Unit Leader, and summer staff feedback we will decide whether our currently planned Camp Lawton summer camp is a go or announce our alternative summer camp plan.
We’ll make the best decision we can with as many facts as we can, and let you know by the end of the week what direction we are going in.
Thanks, for all that you do. Stay healthy and keep safe,