Covid 19 and Catalina Council Summer Camp
From the desk of the Scout Executive
Monday, April 13th update
I hope this finds you and your family healthy and safe. We wanted to start these weekly updates to let you know our Council’s decision-making process for our upcoming summer camp season. In these unprecedented times we are working hard to make the best decisions for our units and kids. We want to make sure we can offer a great experience and one that allows our children and leaders to be safe.
Here are some bullet points for you:
- Why we do camp
- It’s integral to mission of Scouting. It should be the highlight experience of the year for the Troop or Pack. It’s where we put all we have learned throughout the year into practice. The summer camp experience can be a life changing event, kids grow a lot in their week at camp.
- How we stay safe at camp
- We follow all the recommendations of the Forest Service and Pima County Health Department. We follow the rigorous National Camp Standards of the Boy Scouts of America that include numerous inspections of facilities and procedures. We also send key staff leaders to National Camp School for certification. Running a summer camp in the Boy Scouts of America is no small undertaking.
- What we know today
- The Forest Service has closed all of their campgrounds on Mt Lemmon through June 30th (they will reevaluate this decision on a monthly basis)
- They will allow organization camps to continue to operate following the CDC guidelines of ten or less people and who must also follow the social distance guidelines of six feet separation. (we’re asking for more clarification of this rule)
- Governor Ducey has closed communal pools indefinitely
- Governor Ducey has closed schools for the remaining of the year and encouraged all children to stay home
- Governor Ducey announced the “Stay home, stay healthy, stay connected” order encouraging all of us to stay home
- Catalina Council has closed the Service Center to the public through the month of April
- Catalina Council has closed all camps through Memorial Day
- Impact on our Summer camp planning and operation
- Has greatly slowed physical preparation at camp Lawton
- Has impacted how we plan and train the camp staff
- Has augmented our Health & Safety inspection schedule
- We are evaluating additional Health & Safety procedures to operate camp this summer
- Has greatly disrupted Scout Unit operations
- Many families have been highly impacted by work displacement
- Actions we are taking now
- Working on Plan A (Summer Camp as planned) & developing Plan B (Summer Camp at a later time or in a different format)
- To help families we are moving the final payment deadline for Summer Camp to May 15th
- To help families we are reopening and extending the deadline for Camperships (Camp scholarships) to May 15th. (We’ll find the scholarship money to support this)
- Contacting both our Summer Camp staff and Unit Leaders about later camping dates to see what flexibility we have. (Note the National Junior Leadership Training course set for the week of July 5th has been postponed until the week of December 27th at Double V)
- Per Governor Ducey’s order on communal pools we are canceling pool activities at camp Lawton for this summer. As the situation improves, we will offer additional swimming programs at Double V later in the year.
- Next Key decision date – May 1st
- With current health & safety advice from appropriate authorities, Unit Leader and summer staff feedback we will decide whether our currently planned Camp Lawton summer camp is a go or announce our alternative summer camp plan.
Please look forward to more weekly summer camp updates on our plans to give our Scouts a healthy, safe and life-changing Camp Lawton adventure.
All the best, and stay safe,