From: Jeff Hotchkiss, Catalina Council Scout Executive and Jack Winger, Camp Director for Camp Lawton 2020
Subject: May 18 Update on Camp Lawton for 2020
Progress for summer camp is being made as you will see in in this letter. In last week’s update, we had reservations for 40 Scouts for the week-long Scouts BSA segment of the July camping program. Today those reservations stand at 101 Scouts and rising.
Our staff has been informed of our current plans and feedback from them has been positive and encouraging.
Work crews have already been to camp in order to prepare it for the camping season. These work crews are compliant with US Forest Service and Center for Disease Control restrictions and will continue until the opening of camp. Adult volunteers are welcome. Please use the following link to sign up for a work detail. Sign up today
The Senior Camp and Council Staffs have been meeting often and are in near constant contact. We have also been participating in camp management meetings with the National BSA Council to get a clearer vision of how we are expected to operate Camp Lawton. With the health and safety of our campers and staff at the forefront of our planning, we are working through what our food service, sanitation, as well as Merit Badge and In-camp programs will look like. A draft Merit Badge program is available on the Catalina Council website and will be updated as we go. This was developed based on operating the camp in a COVID-19 environment and takes into consideration social distancing and minimizes equipment handling and sanitization. We are told by the National Council that all BSA summer camp programs, including that of Camp Lawton, will be different than previous programs and we will communicate these changes to you once we get resolution on them. We realize that as we work through these restrictions that our Summer Camp program will be different this year.
While we are charging ahead with our plans for camp, there are four criteria which need to be met before we can operate Camp Lawton:
• The current US Forest Service restrictions limiting us to operate in groups of ten or less are lifted
• Federal, State, local, and National BSA Council allow us to operate the camp
• We can fulfill the camp goals of safety, fun and education
• We have no less than 100 Scouts registered and paid in full for Scouts BSA Camp and 60 Cubs registered and paid in full for Cub Adventure Camp
Our next GO/NO GO decision for Camp Lawton is at Catalina Council level on June 1st but again, we are meeting often to assess the situation and develop the program for Camp Lawton. As always we continue to thank you for your flexibility in this unprecedented time.
Keep on Scouting!
Jeff and Jack