From the desk of Jeff Hotchkiss, Catalina Council Scout Executive
Subject: Changes to the Camp Lawton Summer Camp Program
For nearly a century, Catalina Council’s camps have provided safe, fun, and educational experiences for Scouts and Leaders of all ages. Throughout that period, our camps have met or exceeded both local and National BSA health and safety standards. We consider the safety of our Scouts, Scouters and Staff to be paramount. Based upon the data available to us, all sessions of Scouts BSA Summer Camp and all sessions of Cub & Webelos Family Adventure Camp originally scheduled for June 1st through July 4th have been cancelled.
Why this decision?
- Current National and State guidelines would not allow us to operate the camp effectively.
- Current Forest Service restrictions (camp is limited to groups of ten or less practicing social distancing) remain in effect until June 30th.
- Projected attendance from our recent leader survey (including restrictions on movement of our units led by military personnel) shows attendance will be below the budgeted minimum for each week of scheduled camp.
- With the cancellation of national camp schools, we are concerned about having the needed trained staff.
- We are still unsure what restrictions would need to be in place for safe food service.
- We are concerned about the economic impact this pandemic has had on our families ability to afford camp.
We are making plans to conduct a Summer Camp in July.
Assuming relaxation of current Federal, State, Forest Service and National BSA restrictions, we now propose the following camp activities:
- 7/1-7/3 Camp staff training and property organization.
- 7/15 Camp clean-up and tear down
This would also be contingent on finding enough qualified staff (volunteer and paid) to operate the camp effectively.
Please note that your unit must be registered by June 1st using this link: Register Now
New leader guidebooks and a Q & A virtual session are forthcoming.
We are providing additional camperships for those that need it.
In addition to our extended Campership application deadline (May 15th) we are providing additional camperships to those economically impacted by the current pandemic. Through the partnership of the AZ Daily Star Sportsmen’s Fund, Catalina Council has the means to assist families affected by the COVID-19 epidemic. This opportunity is to ensure that any scout that wishes to attend camp, has that chance. This money can be used for those families that have already committed to going to camp. Please complete Financial Assistance form.
Our next Go/No Go decision date is June 1st.
Future Fall & Winter programs are being planned.
Catalina Council is also exploring ways to offer the summer camp experience during both Fall & Winter school breaks. We are just in the initial planning stages and will need time and your patience as we figure out what we can do. With the continued restrictions on group gatherings and the continued remote Council operation planning takes longer.
Potential Summer Camp refunds
If your unit or members of your unit cannot attend the July camping events, we will be offering options including refunds for families to consider. We do, again, ask for your patience as we will not begin to process these until June 1st. With our limited capacity we need the month of May to finalize our future camp plans, but be assured of the following:
- If Catalina Council is forced to cancel summer programs, we will offer full refunds to units for all funds paid.
- If we are forced to cancel all summer programs, we will also offer an option for units to roll over their funds to the summer of 2021 to secure the current 2020 pricing.
- If we must switch camping weeks and the unit or families cannot attend, we will also offer the above options to them.
- We plan to also offer units and families the option of rolling their deposits into our new Fall and Winter camp programs.
- We will work with units who have paid for summer camp at Camp Lawton but who plan on attending out-of-council camps due to the schedule change.
Stay safe, stay flexible, and stay tuned for future Camp developments.
Jeff Hotchkiss | Scout Executive/CEO
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA