BSA uses personal identifiable information from donors that is collected at several points on our website, including: name, address, telephone number, email address and donor comments when a donor voluntarily provides it to us. When a donor pledges money as a donation, BSA requests certain personally identifiable information from them on our secure donation form and/or by telephone. Donors must provide contact information (such as name, email and billing address) and financial information (such as credit card number and expiration date). This information is used for billing purposes and to fulfill donations. Credit card information is only used for specific or pre-authorized recurring transaction(s) and is then destroyed. However, if we have trouble processing a donation, we will use this information to contact the donor.
In addition, a record is kept of each donor’s giving history. Donor information is stored on a BSA donor management database. Access to the database is restricted to personnel with legitimate business need to access or modify the information contained therein. This information is kept on file for IRS purposes and is also used for gift acknowledgment and mailing lists.
BSA does not sell, trade, rent or share names, addresses, telephone numbers or e-mail addresses of our donors. BSA will use contact information (e-mail, telephone numbers or addresses) of donors for these purposes only:
- Produce receipts for donations;
- Acknowledge donors for their contributions;
- Inform donors about news, upcoming fundraising events and Scouting activities; or When information is sent utilizing a mailing service – The companies we employ have access only to the personal information needed to perform their functions, but are contractually prohibited from using it for other purposes;
- Internal analysis and record keeping;
- If necessary, reporting to relevant U.S. agencies; and
- As a means of recognizing support, BSA may occasionally publish names of donors in various Scouting newsletters, brochures and publications. If a donor prefers their name not be published, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our donation button uses industry standard SSL (secure socket layer) technology to protect data transmissions. The information collected will not be given out (shared or sold) to any third party.
When giving an online donation, or making an activity registration payment, BSA takes every precaution to protect donor personal information. That includes online data collected on the BSA website through our secure e-commerce system and payment processor used to securely process online donations. All communications with the online processor are encrypted for the highest level of security of donor personal information.