June is here, and it’s time to head to Scout Camp. Most of the camps are in higher altitudes, so this month’s Safety Minute addresses some health issues that you may encounter at higher elevations: https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/HealthSafety/pdf/680-055(17)_AltitudeSafety_WEB.pdf
- In the Order of the Arrow, and
- Interested in going to NOAC 2018 (this summer!) with the Shomer Shabbat NOAC Contingent,
- Contact Dr. Ely Stillman immediately at: istillma@bidmc..harvard.edu
National Youth Leadership Training July 9th, 2018 – July 14th, 2018 @ Camp Lawton . National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others. Register Here today!
The Guide to Safe Scouting is an overview of Scouting policies and procedures gleaned from a variety of sources. For some items, the policy statements are complete. Unit leaders are expected to review the additional reference material cited prior to conducting such activities. The newest updates were released earlier this month. To download a copy of the newest version, please go here
Catalina Council Polo Order Form
Catalina Council is now taking orders for Council Polo’s. the polo’s come in a variety of colors and will have the council logo on the front left pocket. Polo’s will be ordered once a month and take 3 weeks to arrive once ordered. You will be notified once the polo’s have arrived.
Order your polo’s today!
As of January 31, 2018, National has released new mandatory Youth Protection training and policies. This was done as part of a continuous effort by BSA to reexamine and strengthen the policies they have for protecting our youth and adults. This new release consists of both new policies and training.
The new YPT Policies Include
By October 1, 2018, all new and currently registered leaders will be required to complete the updated training. The enhanced and updated content will allow leaders and councils to comply with all current legal requirements. While this may be inconvenient for some, it reflects the BSA’s commitment to the safety of all youth.
- Adults accompanying units on activities who are present at the activity for 72 hours or more, must also take Youth Protection Training. The 72 hours need not be consecutive.
- New leaders are required to take Youth Protection Training prior to completing the registration process.
- Units cannot re-charter unless all unit leaders have completed YPT within two years.
- Adult Youth Protection Training is required for adult program participants 18 years or older. Adult program participants (Venturing, Order of the Arrow, Exploring) must complete adult Youth Protection Training before submitting their adult application.
- BSA policy that when tenting, youth must be NOT more than 2 years apart in age unless relatives.
- BSA policy that no one (youth or adult) may share an accommodation (tent) with a member of the opposite sex other than their spouse.
- BSA policy that “buddies” must be NOT more than 2 years apart in age and the same level of maturity.
BSA National Mandatory Training Policy
- Youth Protection Training (YPT) must be taken every two years.
- Councils are permitted to enact additional requirements.
The only position exceptions to taking the required the Youth Protection Training are:
- Institutional heads
- Adult partners in Tiger and Lion programs.
The Boy Scouts of America’s updated Youth Protection Training is mandatory for all registered adult leaders in all BSA programs. Other adults participating in Scouting are strongly encouraged to take this one-hour online training.
The mandatory training modules are the following:
- Overview & Policies – SCO_3001 (20 minutes)
• Sexual Abuse – SCO_3003 (22 minutes)
• Bullying – SCO_3004 (13 minutes)
• YPT Certification – SCO_3007 (no time estimate)
The prior version of BSA’s Youth Protection trainings will no longer be available. The updated training replaces other Youth Protection trainings and is required for all BSA programs.
Depending on the speed of your network, this new training should take approximately 1-2 hours to complete. Be patient
Remember, all adult leaders are required to complete this new training by Oct 1, 2018